- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Mum Knows Best
- 450g lean beef mince
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped red pepper and the same with a green one
- 150g sliced button mushrooms
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 200g tomato puree
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 tsp each of dried thyme, parsley, oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 300g cottage cheese
- 150g grated mature cheddar
- 300g pasta sheets, dried or fresh
- Oil for frying
- STEP 1Brown the mince in the oil, then set aside.
- STEP 2Now gently fry the onion, peppers and mushrooms until soft
- STEP 3Pop the mince back in together with the tomato puree and bay leaves. Cook for 5 minutes.
- STEP 4Now add the tomatoes and herbs, bring to the boil, then simmer for at least 30 minutes and season well
- STEP 5Grease a 10” x 8” baking dish and line the bottom with pasta.
- STEP 6Fish out the bay leaves and spoon about 1/3 of the mix on to the pasta, then put 'blobs' of cottage cheese (again about 1/3) on top of the mince. Carry on for 2 more layers, finishing with meat, cottage cheese and then cheddar.
- STEP 7Bake at 180C for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.serve with salad and garlic bread.