Jamaican Curried Goat
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Prepare meat 6-8 hours before cooking
- More effort
- Serves 4
Jamaican chef Patrick Williams has created this delicious Curried Goat recipe. Make your own version, which is as authentic as you would find in Jamaica.
- 550g shoulder of Goat (bone in), diced
- 3 Tbsp West Indian curry powder
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground pimento seeds
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 140ml/5fl oz vegetable oil
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Olive oil
- Water or stock
- STEP 1Season the goat with the curry powder, thyme, pimento, black pepper and coriander seeds at least 6-8hrs before using it.
- STEP 2Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F,gasmark 2. Heat oil in a pan and cook the goat pieces until golden brown.
- STEP 3Soften the tomatoes, onions, peppers and garlic in some olive oil and add it to the meat. Immerse the ingredients in double their quantity of water or stock and bring to the boil.
- STEP 4Remove from heat and place in preheated oven for 1-1 to 1½ hours, until goat is tender.
- STEP 5When ready, remove goat from pan, simmer sauce till reduced by half, then return meat to pan and serve with rice and peas.