Winter apple & squash panzanella
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- ½ large butternut squash , cut into chunks
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 sage leaves , chopped
- 2 apples , cored and sliced into slim wedges
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 200g leftover crusty bread (we used ciabatta), torn into chunks
- 100g hazelnuts , roughly chopped
- 200g bag chopped kale
- 100g dried cranberries
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the squash on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and scatter over the sage and some seasoning. Toss together, then bake for 30 mins.
- STEP 2
Add the apple slices to the tray, drizzle over the honey and toss with the squash. Put the bread on a separate tray and return both trays to the oven. Bake for another 10-15 mins until the squash and apple are tender and starting to caramelise, and the bread is crisp. Meanwhile, toast the hazelnuts in a small pan until golden. Remove the trays from the oven and set aside to cool a little.
- STEP 3
Whisk the remaining oil, the honey and vinegar in a large bowl with some seasoning. Add the kale, cranberries, hazelnuts, squash apples and toasted bread. Toss everything together, then transfer to a platter or plates to serve.