Warm halloumi with radish, apple & pecan salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
- juice 3 limes
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 eating apples , cored and thinly sliced
- 2 pears , cored and sliced into matchsticks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 x 250g packs halloumi cheese , each block sliced into three
- 300g radish , thinly sliced
- 2 carrots , peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 100g pecan , roughly chopped
- 140g lamb's lettuce
- STEP 1
To make the dressing, whisk together the lime juice, mustard, honey, oil and some seasoning. Pour half into a large bowl, add the sliced apples and pears, then gently toss everything together so all the fruit is coated. Cover and set aside. The fruit will sit happily now for up to 3 hrs without browning.
- STEP 2
When you’re ready to eat, warm a large frying pan over a medium heat. Season the slices of halloumi with pepper (it doesn’t need any salt as it’s quite a salty cheese), then fry in batches for 2-3 mins on each side until the cheese is golden brown and beginning to crisp. You can keep the halloumi warm in a low oven while you fry the rest.
- STEP 3
At the last minute, scoop the apples and pears out of the dressing (it will have gone watery with the moisture of the fruit, so discard), and layer up on a large platter with the radishes, carrot sticks, pecans and lamb’s lettuce. Top with the hot halloumi slices, then drizzle over the remaining dressing.