Veggie rice pot
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 1 tbsp sunflower or groundnut oil
- 2 peppers (one red, one yellow), deseeded and thickly sliced
- 250g pack shiitake or chestnut mushrooms (I used shiitake)
- 250g long grain rice (not the easy-cook type)
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 heaped tsp five-spice powder
- 3 tbsp dry sherry (optional but worth it)
- 140g frozen petits pois
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 eggs , beaten
- bunch spring onions , sliced diagonally
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce , or more if you like
- STEP 1
Boil the kettle. Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan, then add the peppers and mushrooms. Fry over a high heat for 3 mins or until starting to soften and turn golden. Turn down the heat, then stir in the rice, garlic and five-spice. Sizzle for 2 mins, then splash in the sherry, if using, and top up with 350ml hot water.
- STEP 2
Cover the pan and simmer for 15-20 mins until all of the liquid has gone and the rice is tender, stirring now and again. Add the peas for the final few mins.
- STEP 3
Heat another frying pan, add a drop of the sesame oil, then add the eggs. Swirl around the pan to make a thin omelette. Once set, turn out onto a board, roll up and shred thinly. Tip the egg and spring onions onto the rice, fluff up with a fork, season with soy sauce and sesame oil, then serve.