Tomato salad ‘Maman Blanc’
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus 1 hr marinating, no cook
- Serves 4 - 6
Use sweet, ripe tomatoes in this simple yet delicious side dish, lightly dressed with garlic, basil and olive oil
- 800g tomatoes (Coeur de Boeuf or Marmande), destemmed and cored (see tip, below left)
- 1 banana shallot or small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
For the dressing
For the garnish
- 6 basil or flat-leaf parsley sprigs, leaves picked and torn or roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Cut the tomatoes across into slices, about 5mm thick. Arrange them in a shallow oval serving dish, scatter over the shallots and season with 4 pinches of sea salt. Set aside.
- STEP 2
To make the dressing, mix together the garlic, wine vinegar, Dijon mustard and 1 tbsp warm water. Add the oil slowly, whisking constantly, then whisk in another 1 tbsp warm water to emulsify and thin the dressing. Season with sea salt and pepper. Spoon the dressing over the tomatoes and leave to marinate for about 1 hr at room temperature. Scatter over the herbs to serve.