Sticky rice & mango
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Takes 40-50 minutes, plus overnight soaking
- More effort
- Serves 6
- 300g sticky rice (a glutinous rice, sometimes sold as sushi rice)
- 250ml coconut milk
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2-3 ripe mangoes
- 2-4 tbsp coconut cream (you can freeze the rest)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- banana leaves , for serving if you can find them
- STEP 1
Soak the sticky rice in cold water for at least 3 hours, or overnight. Drain and rinse thoroughly. Line a steamer with double thickness muslin or a J-cloth (single thickness) and place the rice on top. Bring the water in the steamer to the boil and steam the rice over moderate heat for 30 minutes, turning halfway. Put in a bowl and set aside.
- STEP 2
Combine the coconut milk and sugar in a small pan and heat gently, stirring all the time, until the sugar has dissolved. Do not boil. Stir in the salt and pour over the cooked rice, stirring gently; set aside to cool.
- STEP 3
Peel the mangoes and cut off the two outer cheeks of each fruit, as close to the stones as possible. Discard the stones. Slice each piece of fruit into thin lengthways slices.
- STEP 4
Put a mound of rice on a dish lined with a leaf and nestle the mango next to it. Pour the coconut cream over and sprinkle with sesame seeds.