Spiced turkey patties with fruity quinoa salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Spice up lean meatballs with coriander and cumin seeds, then serve on a salad of quinoa, red onions, carrots, pomegranate and parsley
- 4 carrots , peeled and cut into thin batons
- 3 red onions 2½ cut into chunky wedges (roots intact) and ½ grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g quinoa
- 2 tsp coriander seed
- 2 tsp cumin seed
- 400g turkey mince
- 25g fresh wholemeal breadcrumb
- 3 garlic cloves , crushed
- 4 tbsp 0% fat Greek yogurt
- few dashes of Tabasco sauce
- 1 pomegranate , deseeded over a bowl to catch the juices
- 2 oranges , segmented
- large pack parsley , roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Tip the carrots and onion wedges into a roasting tin. Toss in 1 tbsp olive oil, season and roast, stirring once, for 30 mins or so until tender.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, cook the quinoa following pack instructions, drain and put to one side. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan and toast the seeds for 1-2 mins until aromatic. Pop into a pestle and mortar and grind before tipping into a large bowl. Add the turkey, grated onion, breadcrumbs, most of the garlic and seasoning, then mix. Shape into 12 small patties. Heat the remaining oil in the same pan and fry the patties for 3-4 mins on each side until browned and cooked through.
- STEP 3
In a small bowl, mix the yogurt, remaining garlic, Tabasco, 1 tbsp of water and seasoning. Toss together the drained quinoa, pomegranate seeds and juice, orange segments, parsley and roasted veg and some seasoning. Serve with the patties and spiced yogurt.