Spiced courgette fritters
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 8-12 fritters
For the fritters
- 3 courgettes , finely sliced
- 1 large onion , halved and finely sliced
- 1 red chilli , halved, deseeded, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- handful coriander leaves, picked and very roughly chopped
- 140g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- sunflower oil , for frying
For the tomato salsa
- 2 tomatoes , chopped to smithereens
- 1 small red onion , finely chopped
- 1 green chilli , finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp ketchup
- STEP 1
Tip all the fritter ingredients into a bowl. Gradually work in about 200ml cold water until everything is bound in a thick, spoonable batter (you can do this an hour ahead, but the fritters should be cooked at the last minute).
- STEP 2
Heat a decent layer of oil in a large frying pan, then fry large spoonfuls of the batter for 2 mins until golden. Flip them over, cook on the other side, then lift onto kitchen paper and keep warm while you cook another batch.
- STEP 3
Make the salsa by mixing all the ingredients together. Serve the fritters with the salsa for spooning over.