Spatchcock barbecue chicken
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus marinating
- A challenge
- Serves 2 - 4
- 1.3kg chicken , spatchcocked
- little beer or water, to taste
- 2 lemons , quartered, to serve
For the marinade
- 3 tbsp olive oil , plus extra to serve
- 1 tsp paprika , plus extra to serve
- 1 garlic clove , crushed zest and juice 1 lemon
- the zest and juice of 1 lemon
- STEP 1
Mix together the oil, paprika, garlic, lemon zest and salt and pepper. Brush this all over the skin of the spatchcock chicken and leave in the fridge for 30 mins to marinate.
- STEP 2
To cook on a barbecue: cook for 5 mins each side in the centre, then draw aside to the edges to cook on a gentler heat. Turn regularly. Baste in between with beer or water. To check that it’s cooked through, pierce with a knife between the thighs and breast bone: the flesh should be white and firm.
- STEP 3
Remove from the heat and leave to rest, covered with foil, for 10-15 mins. Cut into portions, drizzle over lemon juice and seasoning, plus a little oil and pinches of paprika. Serve with the lemon quarters.