Smoked trout, horseradish & asparagus vol-au-vent filling
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes enough to fill 10 vol-au-vent cases
- 10 vol-au-vent cases (see 'goes well with')
- 200g smoked trout
- 1-2 tsp horseradish sauce (depending on the strength)
- 6 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 heaped tbsp chopped dill , plus extra sprigs to serve
- squeeze lemon juice
- 10 short asparagus spears, trimmed
- STEP 1
Cook the asparagus in boiling salted water for 3-4 mins until just tender. Drain and refresh in cold water to stop them cooking further, then pat dry. Cut the asparagus tips off the stalks, so they are about 2cm long, and set aside. Slice the stalks into small pieces.
- STEP 2
Flake the trout into small pieces and put in a bowl. Add the chopped asparagus stalks, horseradish, crème fraîche, dill and lemon juice, and season. Chill until ready to use.
- STEP 3
Divide between 10 vol-au-vent cases and sit an asparagus tip and sprig of dill on top of each.