- 100ml rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 2 banana shallots , peeled and thinly sliced into rings
- 600g (about 12 slices) smoked salmon , brown pieces removed
- 50g picked and washed frisée salad, or other bitter leaves like rocket and radicchio
- 1 tbsp snipped chives
- 25g caper in brine, drained and patted dry
- rapeseed oil
- lemon wedges, to serve
- STEP 1
Put the vinegar and sugar into a heavy-based saucepan and bring to the boil, allowing the sugar to dissolve. Add the sliced shallots to the warm liquid, stir through, then tip into a dish and cover with cling film. Set aside.
- STEP 2
Arrange the smoked salmon in the centre of each plate, making sure that the slices slightly overlap, and set aside.
- STEP 3
Put the frisée salad, the chives, capers, a little of the shallot vinegar and some of the shallots into a mixing bowl and toss together. Spoon the mixture over the salmon and serve with a few twists of black pepper, a drizzle of oil and lemon wedges on the side.