Sizzled lamb steaks with warm beetroot salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 4 lamb leg steaks, about 140g/5oz each
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion , finely sliced
- 250g pack cooked beetroot , rinsed and chopped into small chunks
- 410g can chickpeas , packed without salt, drained and rinsed
- 50g rocket or watercress
- handful mint or coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Put the lamb steaks in a shallow dish and add 2 tbsp of the olive oil. Season with black pepper and turn them so they are coated with the oil.
- STEP 2
Heat the rest of the oil in a shallow pan and gently fry the onion until it has softened – about 2-3 minutes will be fine. Add the chunks of beetroot and stir them around in the pan. Turn heat to very low and tip in the chickpeas – don’t stir. Keep them warm while you cook the lamb.
- STEP 3
Preheat a griddle pan or heavy-based frying pan. Add the lamb steaks and cook them over a fairly fierce heat for about 3 minutes per side for medium, or until cooked to your liking.
- STEP 4
Put a heap of rocket leaves onto four plates. Tip an equal amount of the beetroot salad on top of each serving then scatter some mint leaves or coriander over the top.
- STEP 5
Slice the lamb steaks and arrange the pieces over the salads. Grind over some more black pepper, scatter with extra mint, then serve at once.