- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100g red Thai curry paste
- 2 tbsp palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 4½ cm chunks
- 2x 400g cans coconut milk
Coconut milk is not the slightly opaque liquid that flows from a freshly opened coconut –…
- 200ml carton coconut cream
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
A seasoning often used in Vietnamese and Thai cooking. In Vietnam it is usually made from shrimp…
- 2 tbsp lime pickle, from a jar
The same shape, but smaller than…
- 3 lemongrass stalks, bruised with the back of a knife
- 50g beansprout
The two most common beansprouts are the green-capped mung bean…
Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan and add the red curry paste. Fry for 2 mins, then add the sugar and cook for 4 mins until sticky and fragrant.
Add the squash, stir well and cook for 2-3 mins, then pour in the coconut milk and the coconut cream, season with the fish sauce and add the lime pickle and lemongrass. Bring to the boil and cook for about 25-30 mins over a medium heat until the squash is soft but not mushy.