Root veg & pancetta toad-in-the-hole with onion gravy
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 140g plain flour , plus 2 tbsp for the gravy
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 200ml milk
- 70g pack pancetta slices
- 600g mixed root vegetable , peeled and cut into wedges or batons (we used carrots, parsnips and beetroot)
- 2 small red onions , cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp onion chutney
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 500ml beef stock
- peas , to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Mix the flour, baking powder, rosemary, eggs and milk in a jug. Set aside.
- STEP 2
Wrap the pancetta slices around some of the root veg, then tip into a large roasting tin. Add the onions, season and drizzle with the oil. Bake for 25 mins. Increase oven to 240C/220C fan/gas 9.
- STEP 3
Remove the tin from the oven and pour in the batter mixture. Return to the oven and bake for 10 mins until puffed up and golden, then lower to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and bake for a further 15 mins.
- STEP 4
To make the gravy, put the onion chutney, balsamic vinegar and flour into a saucepan, stir well, then bubble for 1-2 mins over a medium heat. Pour in the stock and whisk until smooth, then bring to a simmer and bubble for 5 mins until thickened. Serve the toad-in-the-hole with the onion gravy and peas, if you like.