Quick sausage bolognese
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 6 good-quality sausages , skins removed
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 250g pack mushroom , sliced
- 150ml red wine (optional)
- 660g jar tomato pasta sauce (we used Loyd Grossman’s tomato & chilli)
- 300g penne
- grated or shaved parmesan , to serve
- STEP 1
Heat a large, wide frying pan, then crumble in the sausage meat and fennel seeds (there’s no need to add any oil). Fry for a few mins until golden and the fat is released, stirring well to break up the meat. Add the mushrooms and fry for a few mins until beginning to soften. Stir in the wine now, if using, bubble for 1 min, then add the tomato sauce and heat through until bubbling.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, boil the penne. When ready, drain and tip into the sauce. Mix well until completely coated, then divide between four plates, finishing with a little parmesan.