- 1 large whole chicken, about 1.8kg
While it's the traditional Christmas bird, turkey is good to eat all year round, though…
- ½ x 270g jar peri-peri marinade
- 1 lime, halved
The same shape, but smaller than…
For the new potato slaw
- 400g new potato, halved, larger ones quartered
New potatoes have thin, wispy skins and a crisp, waxy texture. They are young potatoes and…
- ½ white cabbage, shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated
The carrot, with its distinctive bright orange colour, is one of the most versatile root…
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 2-3 tbsp low-fat soured cream
- 2 tbsp cider or white wine vinegar
- ½ small pack coriander, chopped
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Brush the chicken with the peri-peri sauce, add some seasoning, then leave to marinate if you have time. Place half the lime in the cavity. Roast in the oven basting frequently for 1 hr 20 mins or until the chicken is cooked, covering with foil if the skin is getting too dark.
Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 12-15 mins until tender, drain and steam-dry for a few mins in the colander. Tip into a large bowl with the juice from the remaining lime half, the rest of the ingredients and some seasoning. Toss everything together.
Serve warm or at room temperature with the roast chicken.