Patate in agrodolce (Sweet & sour warm potato salad)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Takes 30-35 mins, plus 30 mins to soak the capers
- Serves 4
- 50g salted capers
- 700g waxy yellow fleshed new potatoes , such as Charlottes, cut into medium chunks
- 1 large onion , thinly sliced
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 100g large unpitted green olives
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- STEP 1
Rinse the capers to remove the salt crystals then leave them in fresh cold water for 30 minutes, changing the water frequently, until they no longer taste salty.
- STEP 2
Mix the potatoes and onion and gently fry in the olive oil in a deep non-stick sauté pan for about 7 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then take off the heat and cover while you prepare the olives. That way the potatoes continue to soften without overcooking.
- STEP 3
Cut strips from the olives, working round the stone to remove all the flesh, then add to the potatoes with the capers and 200ml/7floz water. Return to the heat, cover and leave to cook for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are almost done.
- STEP 4
Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar and add to the potatoes in the pan. Bring to the boil, cook for a minute, then remove from the heat. Serve lukewarm.