One-pot chicken with braised vegetables
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
- 1 ½kg chicken
- 25g butter
- 200g smoked back bacon , preferably from a whole piece, cut into small chunks
- 1kg new potato , peeled
- 16-20 shallot or small onions
- ½ bottle white wine
- 250g pea , frozen are fine
- bunch soft green herbs such as tarragon , chives or parsley, chopped
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Season the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Heat the butter in a casserole dish until sizzling, then take 10 mins to brown the chicken on all sides. Remove the chicken from the dish, then fry the bacon until crisp. Add the potatoes and shallots, then cook until just starting to brown. Nestle the chicken among the veg, pour over the wine, then pot-roast, undisturbed, for 1 hr or until the chicken is cooked.
- STEP 2
After 1 hr, remove the chicken and place the pan back on the heat. Stir the peas into the buttery juices, adding a splash of water if the pan is dry, then simmer until the peas are cooked through. Finally, add any juices from the rested chicken, then stir through the herbs and serve with the chicken.