Mojo pork skewers with Cuban coolers
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus marinating
- Serves 6
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves , finely crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seed , lightly crushed
- juice 2 oranges , plus wedges to serve
- juice 2 limes
- generous pinch fresh thyme
- 500g lean pork fillet , diced
For the coolers
- crushed ice
- juice 5 limes , plus 1 halved and sliced to serve
- 85g caster sugar
- 3 x 330ml bottles lager , chilled
- 1l bottle ginger ale, chilled
- STEP 1
To make the skewers, pour the oil into a large heavy-based pan, add the garlic and cook over a low heat until cooked and starting to toast – take care not to burn. Tip in the cumin, stir briefly, then add the citrus juices, thyme and some seasoning. Allow to boil for several mins to concentrate and make a sauce. Cool.
- STEP 2
Put your pork into a bowl, and stir in three-quarters of the cooled marinade. Leave to marinate for 1 hr at room temperature or overnight in the fridge.
- STEP 3
When ready to serve, thread the pork onto 18 pre-soaked wooden skewers. Griddle for 2 mins on each side or until cooked. Arrange on a platter, pour over the remaining sauce and serve garnished with orange wedges.
- STEP 4
To make the coolers, put a handful of crushed ice into each of 6 tall glasses. Stir the lime juice and sugar together until the sugar dissolves, then tip into the glasses. Divide the lager, then the ginger ale between the glasses, top with lime slices and serve with the pork skewers.