Meatballs with pesto mash
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 400g lean beef mince
- small bunch basil , most leaves roughly chopped, reserving few whole to serve
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- half a 700g bottle passata with onions and garlic
- 1kg potato , peeled and cut into small chunks
- 150ml milk
- 2 tbsp fresh basil pesto
- STEP 1
Mix the mince with half the chopped basil, the Worcestershire sauce and some seasoning, then use your hands to shape into 16 meatballs. Heat a non-stick frying pan, add the oil, then fry the meatballs, turning, for 5 mins until browned. Tip in the passata and remaining chopped basil. Simmer gently for 10 mins until the meatballs are cooked through.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, boil potatoes for 10-15 mins until tender. Drain well, then return to the saucepan over a low heat and mash – leaving the heat on will help to dry out the potatoes for a fluffier mash. Stir in the milk, then marble through the pesto. Pile the mash onto 4 plates, spoon over meatballs and serve scattered with the reserved basil.