Mackerel with orange & harissa glaze
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
The distinct taste of this oily-textured fish works brilliantly with Asian flavours, including garlic, spices, ginger and soy sauce
- 2 x 300g/10oz mackerel , filleted and skin on or 4 x 75g/3oz mackerel fillets, skin on
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1small orange , grated zest and juice
- 1-2 tsp harissa paste (to taste, as brands vary)
- 50g pine nut , toasted
- small bunch coriander , very roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Roll the mackerel fillets in the flour sifted with smoked paprika and seasoning. Shake off excess flour and set the fish aside in a single layer.
- STEP 2
Put 1 tbsp of the olive oil, the orange zest and juice and the harissa paste into a small bowl, and whisk together. Heat a frying pan with remaining olive oil until very hot. Fry the fish fillets for 5 mins, first on the skin side, then on the flesh side.
- STEP 3
When the fish is nearly cooked – it should look firm – pour over the orange and harissa glaze, bring to the boil and allow the liquid to bubble until sticky. Sprinkle over the pine nuts and coriander.