Lemon meringue ice cream
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep: -
- Plus 2 - 3½ hours chilling time
- Serves 8
- 500g carton fresh custard
- 142ml carton single cream
- 142ml carton double cream
- zest and juice of 3 juicy lemons , unwaxed if possible
- 6 good quality meringues , crushed (we used Sainsbury's Meringue Nests)
- 8 good quality ice cream cones
- STEP 1
In a large bowl, mix the custard and the single cream.
- STEP 2
Whip the double cream until it forms soft peaks, then stir in the lemon zest and juice. Fold this into the custard mixture.
- STEP 3
Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Gently fold in the meringue, then spoon into a freezer container and freeze. Remove from the freezer at least half an hour before serving. To serve, scoop into the ice cream cones and eat immediately.