Lemon & five-spice chicken
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 lemons
- 3 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- thumb-sized piece ginger , shredded (no need to peel)
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice powder
- splash dry sherry or dry white wine
- 8 chicken thighs
- STEP 1
Juice 1 lemon and cut the other into slices. Put in a large food bag along with remaining ingredients and shake well to coat. leave for 10 mins (or up to 24 hrs if making ahead).
- STEP 2
Heat the grill to high or fire up the barbecue. lift the chicken out of the marinade, shake off excess, then cook under a grill or on a barbecue for 20 mins, spooning over the marinade every few mins. Turn occasionally, until cooked through and dark golden brown. Great served with new potatoes and a green salad.