Leek & Wensleydale toasties with quick pickle
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 leeks (about 600g/1lb 5oz), trimmed, halved and finely sliced
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 carrots , peeled into ribbons
- 2 red apples , halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 beetroot , coarsely grated
- 8 slices seeded granary bread
- 200g wensleydale cheese , grated
- STEP 1
Melt 1 tbsp butter in a frying pan and add the leeks, seasoning and 3 tbsp water. Cook for about 12 mins until soft, adding a little more water if they begin to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, to make the pickle, mix the cider vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and seasoning in a large bowl. Toss in the carrots and apples, then place the beetroot on top, but don’t mix through.
- STEP 3
Put a griddle pan over a high heat. Butter all the bread on one side. Mix the leeks and cheese together, then spread over half the slices on the unbuttered side. Top with the remaining slices of bread, butter-side up. Griddle for about 2 mins each side or until the cheese has melted, pressing down with a spatula to seal the pieces together. Toss the beetroot through the pickle, cut the toasties in half and serve together.