Lamb & apricot meatballs
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
No one can resist meatballs, and this recipe is so moreish you might want to make double and freeze for another time
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions , very finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 tsp each ground cumin and coriander (or 4 tsp Moroccan spice blend)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ 20g pack mint , finely chopped
- 500g pack lean lamb mince
- 8 dried apricots , finely chopped
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- pitta bread and salad, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and soften the onions for 5 mins. Add the garlic and spices and cook for a few mins more. Spoon half the onion mixture into a bowl and set aside to cool. Add the tomatoes, sugar and seasoning to the remaining onions in the pan and simmer for about 10 mins until reduced.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, add the mint, lamb, apricots and breadcrumbs to the cooled onions, season and mix well with your hands. Shape into little meatballs.
- STEP 3
Heat the rest of the oil in a non-stick pan and fry the meatballs until golden (in batches if you need to). Stir in the sauce with a splash of water and gently cook everything for a few mins until the meatballs are cooked through. Serve with pitta bread and salad.