Jumbo sausage roll with salsa beans
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 400g sausagemeat , or pack of 8 sausages, squeezed from their skins
- 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 300g jar hot salsa dip
- 1 egg , beaten
- 375g ready-rolled puff pastry sheet
- 3 x 400g cans cannellini or haricot beans (or a mixture), drained
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 green chilli , thinly sliced (deseeded if you don't like it too hot)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and line a baking tray with baking parchment or foil. In a large bowl, mix together the sausagemeat, herbs, half the salsa and roughly half the egg until well combined.
- STEP 2
Unroll the pastry sheet on your baking tray. Pile the sausage mixture onto one side of the pastry – along the longer side – leaving a gap of 4cm around the edge. Brush a little of the egg around the edges, then fold the pastry over the filling. Press the edges together with a fork and score a few air holes through the top with a knife (to let steam escape). Brush with the remaining egg and bake for 40 mins.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, tip the beans, tomatoes, remaining salsa and some seasoning into a saucepan and cover with a lid. Simmer for 20 mins or until the sauce is thick and clings to the beans. To serve, scatter the beans with the chilli and serve with slices of sausage roll.