Italian rice with chicken
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast fillets or 4 boneless thighs, cut into strips
- 1 red onion , cut into 8 wedges
- 2 orange peppers , halved, deseeded and sliced thickly
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 100g long grain rice
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 300ml chicken stock
- 4 tbsp ready-made pesto (you'll find long-life jars on the shelves with pasta sauces or more expensive fresh pots in the chiller cabinet)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Heat the oil in a large, shallow ovenproof pan, add the chicken and cook for 3-4 mins until golden all over. Remove from pan and set aside.
- STEP 2
Add the onion and peppers, and cook for 3 mins or until lightly golden. Tip in the garlic and fry for a min. Stir in the rice, then the tomatoes, stock and reserved chicken. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil before transferring to the oven to cook, uncovered, for 20 mins. Season to taste and drizzle over the pesto before serving.