Grilled herrings with mustard & basil dressing
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 4
- 4 x 75g/3oz herring fillets or 4 x 225g/8oz herrings, gutted
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- large bunch basil , roughly torn
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 1 lemon , grated zest and juice
- STEP 1
Heat grill to its highest setting. Rinse the fish under running cold water to dislodge any loose scales. Brush with a little of the oil and season lightly. Grill for 6-8 mins, or until cooked; the eye should be white, the skin well browned and the flesh firm and opaque.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, make the dressing: whisk the mustard, basil, honey, lemon zest and juice and remaining oil together in a small bowl, and season. Once the fish is cooked, spoon the dressing over and serve.