Greek lamb with orzo
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 6
- 1kg shoulder of lamb
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped oregano, or 1 tsp dried
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 1.2l hot low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 400g orzo (see know-how below)
- freshly grated parmesan, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Cut the lamb into 4cm chunks, then spread over the base of a large, wide casserole dish. Add the onions, oregano, cinnamon sticks, ground cinnamon and olive oil, then stir well. Bake, uncovered, for 45 mins, stirring halfway.
- STEP 2
Pour over the chopped tomatoes and stock, cover tightly, then return to the oven for 1½ hrs, until the lamb is very tender.
- STEP 3
Remove the cinnamon sticks, then stir in the orzo. Cover again, then cook for a further 20 mins, stirring halfway through. The orzo should be cooked and the sauce thickened. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan and serve with crusty bread.