Fragrant chicken curry with chick peas
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep: -
- Serves 4
- 2 onions , quartered
- 3 fat garlic cloves
- 3cm/¼in piece fresh root ginger , peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp moglai (medium) curry powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 fresh red chilli , seeded and roughly chopped
- 20g packet fresh coriander
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 425ml/¾ pint boiling water
- 4 skinless boneless chicken fillets (about 500g/1lb 2oz total weight), cubed
- 410g can chickpea , drained and rinsed
- natural low-fat yogurt , basmati rice, naan bread or grilled poppadums, to serve
- STEP 1
Tip the onions, garlic, ginger, ground spices, chilli and half the coriander into a food processor. Add 1 teaspoon salt and blend to a purée. Tip the mixture into a medium saucepan and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- STEP 2
Crumble in the stock cube, add the boiling water and return to the boil. Add the chicken, stir, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes until the chicken is tender.
- STEP 3
Chop the remaining coriander, reserve 2 tablespoons, then stir the remainder into the curry with the chickpeas. Heat through and divide between four bowls. Sprinkle with the reserved coriander and spoon over the yogurt, then serve with basmati rice, naan bread or poppadums.