Five-spice beef with black bean sauce & bok choi
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 large sirloin steak (about 300g/10oz)
- 3 heads bok choi or pak choi, halved
- 1 tsp sesame oil
For the sauce
- 100g sachet black bean sauce
- 2 garlic cloves , finely minced
- 1 small piece fresh root ginger , finely minced
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- STEP 1
Mix the sauce ingredients together in a small saucepan, then gently simmer until hot. Heat a griddle pan until very hot. Rub the five-spice all over the steak, then season with a little salt and pepper. Sear steak for 2-3 mins on each side until cooked to your liking, then leave to rest.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, gently simmer or steam the bok or pak choi for 4-5 mins until wilted, but still crunchy. Toss the greens in a few tbsps of sauce and the sesame oil. Cut steak into thick slices. Serve on a plate with a small pot of sauce, the greens and some steamed rice.