Easy hedgehog canapé skewers
- Preparation and cooking time
- No cook
- Makes 36 skewers
Make these crowd-pleasing hedgehog canapé skewers for a party. With tomato and mozzarella, cheese and pineapple, and prawn and cucumber options, they're perfect for a family gathering
- 1 grapefruit or 1/2 large cucumber, for the hedgehog (optional)
- 12 mozzarella pearls
- 1 tsp pesto
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 12 small cherry tomatoes
- 12 basil leaves
- 2 pineapple rings, each cut into 6
- 50g medium cheddar , cut into 12 small cubes
- 50g red leicester , cut into 12 small cubes
- 12 cooked and shelled prawns
- ½ lemon , juiced
- ½ cucumber , cut into 2 even chunks and shaved into ribbons
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
You will need
- 36 bamboo (or reusable) short skewers or long toothpicks
- STEP 1
To make a hedgehog to push the skewers into, use a grapefruit with the base trimmed flat, or use a cucumber to make a longer holder.
- STEP 2
For mozzarella & tomato skewers, tip the mozzarella into a bowl, mix the pesto with the olive oil and pour it over the cheese. Wrap a basil leaf around each mozzarella pearl and thread onto the skewers alternating with the tomatoes.
- STEP 3
For the cheese & pineapple skewers, sandwich a piece of pineapple between a piece of cheddar and a piece of red leicester on a skewer. If you want to be very neat, trim the pineapple to match the cheese (eat the offcuts).
- STEP 4
To make prawn skewers, put the prawns in a bowl and squeeze over the lemon, and season with pepper, but not salt. Tip the cucumber into a bowl, add the sesame oil and seeds and toss together. Fold a cucumber ribbon and push it onto a skewer, followed by a prawn and another cucumber ribbon.
- STEP 5
Push all the skewers into your hedgehog or arrange them on a platter, keeping each type separate.