Creamy prawn & spring vegetable pot
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
- 850ml low-salt chicken or vegetable stock
- 100g pearl barley
- 750g new potato , sliced
- ½ spring green cabbage , shredded
- 140g frozen broad or soya beans
- 100g frozen pea
- 250g broccoli florets
- 200g tub crème fraîche
- small bunch dill , snipped
- zest 1 lemon , plus squeeze of juice
- 600g cooked, peeled prawn
- STEP 1
Bring the stock to a simmer in a large frying pan or shallow casserole covered with a lid. Add the pearl barley, cover and cook for 10 mins. Then add the potatoes and cook covered for 12-15 mins until tender.
- STEP 2
Remove the lid, increase the heat and bubble the stock for a few mins to reduce. Stir in the greens, crème fraîche, dill, zest and juice. If you’re freezing, cool at this stage. If eating straight away, simmer for 3-4 mins until veg is just tender.
- STEP 3
Just before serving, stir in the prawns to heat through and season to taste. If freezing, cool completely then scatter the prawns on top and freeze. Defrost fully in the fridge overnight then gently bring back to a simmer, uncovered, until veg is tender and prawns hot through.