Chipotle corn salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Excite your tastebuds with a salad combining sweetcorn, cherry tomatoes, macadamia nuts and avocado with a kick of chipotle chilli. Ideal for a barbecue
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- pinch of sugar
- 4 corn cobs
- 30g butter
- 1 heaped tbsp chipotle paste
- 300g cherry tomatoes , halved
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime , zested and juiced
- small bunch coriander , roughly chopped
- 2 Little Gem lettuces , each cut into quarters
- 50g macadamia nuts , toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 avocado , sliced
- STEP 1
Mix the red onion with the vinegar, a pinch of salt and the sugar. Set aside.
- STEP 2
Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, add the corn and cook for 4 mins until partly tender, drain then rinse under cold water to cool. Pat dry then, holding the corn upright, slice down the sides of each cob to remove the corn kernels. Discard the core.
- STEP 3
Heat the butter in a large frying pan over a high heat until foaming, tip in the corn, chipotle paste and a good pinch of salt. Cook the corn for 6-8 mins until blackened in places – don’t stir too often. Remove from the heat and stir in the tomatoes, then set aside.
- STEP 4
Stir the oil, lime zest, juice and most of the coriander into the onions to make a dressing. Season to taste, then toss with the lettuce and tip onto a platter. Scatter over the avocado, followed by the chipotle corn mix. Top with the nuts and remaining coriander.