Chilli chicken with honey & soy
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in 10 minutes
- Serves 2
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 375g packet diced (uncooked) chicken breast
- 1 red pepper
- half a bunch of spring onions – about 6
- half a 250g packet of rice noodles
- ½ tsp red chilli spice blend (chopped fresh chilli in a tube) or a small pinch of crushed chillies (from a jar)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce , preferably dark
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 5 Savoy cabbage leaves
- a small handful of fresh coriander , about half a pack
- STEP 1
Put a kettle of water on to boil. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wok, tip in the chicken and give it a good stir. Leave it to cook over a high heat while you quarter, seed and slice the pepper. Throw the pepper into the wok when it's ready and stir. Quickly trim the roots from the spring onions (hold them as a bunch and slice off in one go), then cut off the bulbs with a generous length of stem (don't throw away the green leaves). Add the onion bulbs to the pan and stir – by now the chicken should be starting to turn from pink to white.
- STEP 2
Pour boiling water over the rice noodles in a bowl and leave to soak.
- STEP 3
Spoon the chilli, soy and honey into the wok, then continue cooking while you slice the cabbage into thick strips - slice them as a stack and remove the white spines first if they're tough. Pile on top of the chicken, cover and cook for a minute or so more while you slice the reserved spring onion leaves and roughly chop the coriander. Toss these into the wok and stir well. Serve with the drained rice noodles.