Braised lamb with spring veg & gremolata
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus marinating
- Serves 4
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g carrots , scrubbed and halved lengthways
- 1 garlic bulb , broken into cloves
- greens from 2 bunches salad onions, washed and shredded
- 150ml dry white wine
- 600ml chicken or lamb stock
- 140g frozen peas (or podded broad beans)
- 25g pack flat-leaf parsley , leaves finely chopped, stems reserved
- 1 lemon , zested then cut into wedges
- STEP 1
Make several slashes about 1cm deep in each shank, then put them in a large roasting tin. Rub the rosemary, oil and seasoning into the meat. Leave to marinate for 30 mins if you have time. Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7.
- STEP 2
Brown the lamb shanks in the oven for 20 mins, turning halfway. Add the carrots and all but one of the garlic cloves, turn them in some of the fat in the pan, then roast for 5 mins more. Pour in the wine and stock (make sure the carrots aren’t too submerged), then cover the tin tightly with foil. Reduce the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3 and cook for 2½ hrs or until the shanks are meltingly tender.
- STEP 3
Chop the parsley, lemon zest and the remaining garlic clove and mix to make the gremolata. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- STEP 4
Lift the shanks and carrots from their broth, cover and keep warm. Skim most of the fat from the sauce, then boil the sauce hard for 10 mins in a pan to reduce it by half. Check the seasoning and add the peas and the onion greens for the last few mins.
- STEP 5
To serve, return the shanks and carrots to the tin, pour over the sauce, scatter with the gremolata and squeeze over some lemon juice, if you like.