- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
- 1 meaty chicken carcass, plus any jellified roasting juices from it, skin and fat discarded
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 red chillies, halved, deseeded and sliced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- small pack coriander, stems and leaves chopped and separated
- 1 large garlic clove, finely grated
- 250g pouch wholegrain basmati rice
- STEP 1
Break the chicken carcass into a large pan and add the onion, 1.5 litres of water, the lemon juice and bay leaves. Cover and simmer for 40 mins. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly, to make things a bit easier to handle.
- STEP 2
Place a colander over a bowl and scoop out all the bones into the colander. Pick through them, stripping off the chicken and returning it with any onion as you work your way down the pile of bones.
- STEP 3
Return any broth from the bowl to the pan – and any jellified roasting juices – along with the chilli, ground coriander, cumin, coriander stems, lemon zest and garlic. Cook for a few mins until just bubbling – don’t overboil as you will spoil the delicate flavours. Taste, and season only if you need to. Meanwhile, heat the rice following pack instructions, then toss with the coriander leaves. Ladle the broth into bowls and top with the rice.