Beetroot, bean & feta salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep: -
- Prep will take longer if you skin the beans
- Serves 4
- 175g frozen broad bean
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot , finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary , leaves removed and roughly chopped
- 8 small cooked beetroot , quartered
- 140g bag mixed salad leaf
- 4 tbsp raspberry or red wine vinegar
- 2x blocks feta cheese , cut into cubes
- STEP 1
Cook the broad beans according to packet instructions, then drain and refresh them in cold water. If you’ve got the time, peel the skins off the beans with your fingers – this is a fiddly job, but it’s worth the effort because the skins can be quite tough.
- STEP 2
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the chopped shallot and sliced garlic and fry for a minute or two over a medium heat until pale golden. Stir in the chopped rosemary, then tip in the beetroot quarters and stir gently for 3-4 minutes, so the flavours mingle in the heat. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- STEP 3
Lift out the beetroot quarters and put them into a bowl together with the salad leaves. Stir the vinegar and the remaining olive oil into the pan juices, then pour over the beetroot and salad leaves. Toss gently to mix through. Finally, just before serving, toss in the broad beans and cubes of feta cheese and taste for seasoning.