- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Known as gröstl, this is bacon, onion and potato fry-up is a real hunger-stopper and great served with fried egg
- 1 ½ tbsp corn, sunflower or vegetable oil
- 400g smoked bacon lardon (or use cooked ham)
- 1 onion , cut into chunks
- 500g cooked potato (preferably waxy ones), cold and cut into small chunks
- 1 tsp caraway seed
- 1 ½ tsp hot, sweet paprika (if you can't find this use sweet paprika mixed with a pinch of chilli powder)
- small handful parsley , roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then fry the bacon and onion together for 10 mins until the bacon is golden. Lift out of the pan onto a plate, then add the potatoes and fry for 10 mins more until golden.
- STEP 2
Tip in the caraway and paprika, season well, then fry for another min, stirring to release their fragrance.
- STEP 3
Return the bacon and onion, taste for seasoning, then add the parsley. Serve hot.
'I have been known to throw some black pudding into this. A similar dish – Pitt i panna – is served in Sweden and comes with a fried egg on top, so take the Scandinavian route if you want to make this more substantial.'