Artichoke, anchovy & caper bake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , grated
- 1 celery stick , finely chopped
- 1 small carrot , grated
- 4 anchovy fillets , chopped
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- ½ small pack parsley , chopped
- ½ small pack basil , chopped
- 390g can artichoke hearts , drained and rinsed
- 30g parmesan , grated
- 30g pine nuts
- crusty bread , to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas 4. Put the oil and butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, anchovies and chilli flakes, and cook for 10 mins.
- STEP 2
Add the tomato purée and tomatoes, and turn the heat up until bubbling. Allow to bubble for 10 mins, stirring frequently to ensure it doesn't stick.
- STEP 3
Add the capers, sugar, 1 tsp salt and a good grind of black pepper. Bubble for 25 mins more until the sauce has reduced.
- STEP 4
Take off the heat, stir through most of the herbs, then transfer to a baking dish. Halve the artichokes and nestle these in the sauce. Top with the cheese and pine nuts, and bake for 25-30 mins until golden brown and bubbling on top. Scatter with herbs before serving.