Apple, pear & cherry compote
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 12 portions
- 8 eating apples , peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 4 medium Bramley apples , peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 8 firm pears , peeled, cored and thickly sliced
- 6 tbsp sugar , or to taste
- 280g dried sour cherries (or dried cranberries)
- STEP 1
Put the apples and pears in a pan with the sugar and 50ml water. Bring to a simmer, then gently cook, covered, for 15 mins or so until the Bramley apple has collapsed to a purée and the eating apple and pear are tender (stir to make sure it doesn’t catch on the bottom).
- STEP 2
Stir in the cherries or cranberries for 1 min, taste and add a little more sugar if necessary. Can be chilled for 3-5 days. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if you like. See 'Goes well with' for ideas for using up the compote.