- stock cube, any type
- 1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, halved and thickly sliced
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 3 thick pork sausage, cut in half
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
The carrot, with its distinctive bright orange colour, is one of the most versatile root…
- 1 large or 2 medium potatoes, skin left on, cut into big chunks
The world's favourite root vegetable, the potato comes in innumerable varieties. A member of…
- 200g swede, peeled and cut into big chunks (or use another large carrot)
A member of the cabbage family, the swede is often confused with the turnip, though they look…
Crumble half the stock cube into a mug and top up with boiling water. Stir until dissolved. Heat the oil in a frying pan, then fry the onion and sausage pieces for 5 mins until the meat is browned, but not cooked through. Tuck the vegetable chunks around the sausages and onions, season well with black pepper and salt to taste, then add 4 tbsp of the stock.
Cover the pan with a lid or large piece of foil, making sure there are no gaps at the edges. Turn the heat to medium and leave for 25 mins until the veg are tender and the sausages cooked through. Stir at the end of cooking time – the veg will have caramelised against the bottom of the pan and almost all of the cooking liquid will have been absorbed.