Aussie Meat Pie
Member recipe by muishkas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon Vegemite
- 2 sheets frozen, ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook for 3 minutes or until soft. Add mince. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon, or until browned.
- Mix cornflour and 1 tablespoon of stock to form a paste. Add remaining stock. Add stock, sauces and Vegemite to mince. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 8 minutes or until thick. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Grease a pie tin, and line with puff pastry.
- Fill the pie with meat, then add pastry to make a top.
- Brush with a beaten egg and press sides down to seal. Bake for approx 45 minutes or until golden brown.