- 1½ tbsp groundnut oil or vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp finely chopped shallots
Related to the onion (as opposed to being a younger version of it), shallots grow in clusters at…
- 2 tbsp coarsley chopped salted black beans
- 1½ tbsp finely chopped garlic
Part of the lily, or alium, family, of which onions are also a member, garlic is one of the most…
- 1 tbsp peeled and finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 2 red, yellow and green peppers, all seeded and cut into 2½ cm/1in squares
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp chilli bean sauce
Part of the capsicum family, chillies come in scores of varieties and colours (from green…
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
An Asian condiment and ingredient that comes in a variety of of varieties ranging from light to…
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 150ml vegetable stock or water
- 2 tsp sesame oil
Heat a wok over a high heat until hot, then add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the shallots, black beans, garlic and ginger, and stir fry for 1 minute. Then tip in the peppers and stir fry for 1 minute.
Add the wine or sherry, chilli bean sauce, soy sauce, sugar and stock or water, and continue to cook over a high heat for 5 minutes, or until the peppers are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated.
Stir in the sesame oil, give the mixture several turns to mix well, turn out on a serving plate and leave to cool. Can be made up to 2 hours ahead. Serve at room temperature.
Salted black beansSalted black beans are small black soya beans fermented with salt and spices to preserve them. You can find them in Chinese grocery stores, or black bean sauce is a good alternative.