Choc-Chip Welsh Cakes
Member recipe by jessss
ServingsServes 1 - 30 Cakes
- 1 lb self raising flour (plus extra for rolling out)
- 6 oz margarine
- 6 oz caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp mixed spices
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tbsp of milk
- chocolate chips (however many you fancy!)
- Sift the flour, salt and mixed spices in a large mixing bowl.
- Chop the margarine and add to the flour, with your finger tips start rubbing it all together until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Next mix in the sugar and the chocolate chips.
- Wisk the egg in a cup and then pour into the mixture, mix well until well combined.
- Add one tbsp of milk and mix, then add the 2nd and by then you should be able to press all of the mixture together so it creates a ball of dough. But if you need a just a splash more milk feel free to add it.
- Flour your work surface and a rolling pin, and start rolling out the dough so its about 1/2 cm thick. Then with a round cutter cut out the dough.
- Grease either a baking stone, griddle pan or a heavy based frying pan with a little bit of butter or margarine, and put it on the hob over a medium heat, wait for it to heat up then place a few of the welsh cakes on it spread out evenly. After a few minutes turn them over. You can tell there done when there golden brown on each side, not gooey on the edges and have risen a tiny bit.
- After you have cooked all of the welsh cakes sprinkle a little bit of sugar over them and enjoy!