Points to remember
- Score the pork belly using a very sharp knife.
- Lay the pork, skin-side up, on a rack in a roasting tin. Rub with oil and scatter with salt. This process helps the fat run out and the skin to crisp.
- Transfer to a heated oven. Check your recipe for times and temperatures. Pork belly needs a combination of slow gentle heat to tenderise the meat, plus a shorter blast at a higher heat to crisp up the skin.
- Here we cook at 180C/ fan 160C/ gas 4 for 2 hours 15 minutes then turn up the oven to to 200C/fan 180C/ gas 6 for a further 35 minutes to crisp the crackling,
- Once cooked and tender (this can be easily tested by piercing the flesh with a knife), remove pork from the oven, then leave to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.