- 500g bag standard mixed dried fruit
- 100g chopped candied peel
- 200g light muscovado sugar
- zest and juice 1 orange and 1 lemon
Oval in shape, with a pronouced bulge on one end, lemons are one of the most versatile fruits…
- 175g coarsley grated Bramley apple and 100g finely grated Bramley apple
A large, flattish cooking apple, green in appearance but sometimes with specks of red. The flesh…
- 3 tbsp brandy
Brandy is a distilled spirit made from virtually any fermented fruit or starchy vegetable.…
- ½ nutmeg, freshly grated
- 100g beef or vegetarian suet
- up to 1 tbsp ground almond, optional
Tip all the ingredients, except the suet and ground almonds, into a large bowl and stir really well. Stir in the suet, cover with a plate or cling film and leave overnight for the fruit to plump up in the juices and brandy.
Next day, stir thoroughly again, and if the mixture still looks very juicy, add a sprinkling of ground almonds to absorb some of the liquid. Now it is ready to jar. The mincemeat will keep for 6 months, but once open, store in the fridge.