- 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (any colour)
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 100g red or green lentil, or a mixture
The lentil plant (Lens Culinaris) originates from Asia and North Africa and is one of our oldest…
- 2 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
Sweet potatoes have a creamy texture and a sweet-spicy flavour that makes them ideal for savoury…
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 400g can chickpea, drained
- ¼ small pack coriander (optional)
- natural yogurt and naan bread, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook for a few mins until softened. Add the spices and cook for 1 min more, then stir in the lentils, sweet potatoes, stock and chopped tomatoes.
Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20 mins until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender. Add the chickpeas, then heat through.
Season, sprinkle with coriander, if you like, and serve with seasoned yogurt and naan bread.