- sirloin steak (weighing about 250g/9oz), trimmed of fat
This well-flavoured steak needs to be cooked carefully, and rested properly to ensure…
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into strips or coarsley grated
The fact that the parsnip is a member of the carrot family comes as no surprise - it looks just…
- 4 dates, stoned and quartered lengthways
Dates are one of the oldest cultivated fruits - it's thought that they were a staple part of…
- 150g bag baby leaf green salad with chard
- handful mint leaves, roughly chopped
There are several types of mint, each with its own subtle difference in flavour and appearance.…
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp low-fat crème fraîche
- 2 tsp horseradish sauce
- squeeze lemon juice
Heat a griddle pan until very hot, season the steak, then fry for 1½-2½ mins each side for rare to medium. Remove from the pan and rest for 5 mins, before thinly slicing.
Make the dressing by whisking the crème fraîche, horseradish sauce and lemon juice together in a large bowl. Tip in the parsnip and dates, then toss together with some seasoning. Divide the leaf salad between 2 plates with the parsnip salad on top. Lay the sliced beef over the salad and finish with a scattering of mint leaves.
Medjool dates are in season at Christmas and give a rich syrupy flavour to the salad, which works especially well with the beef.